The use of energy in factories, transport, offices, educational institutions and homes is so large that fuel reserves such as coal, oil and gas are exhausting very rapidly. Non conventional resources of energy are still not out of research and development stage. Although efforts are made to use existing resources in a better way, but after all these resources are limited. In these circumstances, it is our national duty to consume energy carefully and promote alternative resources of energy. We can save much energy by acting upon the following suggestions:
- Substitute fuels should be used for transport. Many people are running their vehicles on CNG. Alcohol could be a good substitute fuel. Brazil has practiced it very successfully. Most of the vehicles run there with alcohol.
- People should be instigated to use public transport rather than driving their own vehicles. In this way many people can go to work in one big bus instead of going in many individual vehicles.
- The bodies of the vehicles should be made light so that they may consume less fuel.
- The engines with more efficiency should be designed for vehicles.
- A large amount of energy is wasted in the industries as heat. This heat can be used for different purposes.
- The need of energy in some industries can be fulfilled by burning different waste materials.
- We should be careful about unnecessary use of energy in offices schools and homes. Bulbs can be replaced by energy savers for light. We can use such electric appliances that Consume less energy.
- We should develop the habit of walking for small distances.
- Biogas energy can be made available easily in villages free of any cost. Villagers should be instigated to make use of biogas.
- The small hydal power station should be constructed to fulfill the local needs of electricity.
- The use of non-conventional energy sources like solar energy, wind energy and tidal energy should be made practicable.
Demand of Energy
50 years ago, there was no electricity in most of the houses. People used to illuminate their houses by candles, lanterns or other such things. Instead of electric fans, hand held fans were used. There was no concept of things like refrigerator or television. But, with the advancement of science, people got many comforts of life. Today not only cities, but villages also have been provided electricity. The increase in consumption of electricity is not confined to houses only, but the dependence of industries on electricity has increased manifolds. Not only large scale factories but small workshops are also using machines.
To fulfill the demand of energy different methods are employed and the most important is to convert one form into another form. Solid waste is the dry garbage that is collected by the municipality. Solid waste is burnt in a type of furnace. The heat thus produced is directly supplied to the boiler, which converts water into steam. The generators are run with this steam to produce electricity. This also solves the problem of solid waste disposal.
The use of electricity in agriculture is also increasing. Earlier, people used to wait for rain or get water from wells, but now tube wells are run by electricity. Many barren lands have been irrigated by this. The yield per acre has increased. In many other fields of life, the consumption of energy is constantly increasing. It is required to discover more resources of energy and the present resources utilized in a better way.